Difference between revisions of "Gemini 80-Bus Resource"
|Line 117:||Line 117:|
* [[File:Xebec S1410 Owners Manual.pdf]]
* [[File:Xebec S1410 Owners Manual.pdf]]
==SASI Implementation (GM829)==
==SASI Implementation (GM829)==
Revision as of 06:34, 12 October 2019
HELP NEEDED!..... I am desperately seeking to archive Gemini 80-Bus software and documentation before it is lost forever. I am particularly interested in CP/M bios version 3.2, the associated GENSYS software and Simon ROM images. In addition I would like to archive versions of GemPen/DiskPen that may be around. Please get in touch if you can help, have any 80-Bus hardware for sale or have a similar interest.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/john.newcombe.skipton
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/johnnewcombeuk
John, September 2019
This page is designed to bring all of my Gemini software and firmware into a single resource. It will be updated as more items come to light.
Unless otherwise stated, these disk images are raw, track interleaved images in GEMQDDS 80 track 788k format and include a 64K Version of CP/M. They can be used with CPMTOOLS and the Gotek disk emulator using the configurations detailed in the article The_Gemini_80-Bus_Saga.
System Disks and Utilities
The following system disks are based on the Gemini GM512 CP/M release. This product was CP/M Version 2.2 using Gemini Bios version 1.4. This BIOS did not support Winchester disks.
The disk includes original files supplied by Gemini plus a few other useful utilities including T-NET see The_Gemini_80-Bus_Saga#Installing_T-Net.
Two changes have been made to this BIOS, firstly CP/M has been relocated for use with a 64K system and secondly, the floppy disk definition has been changed to support GEMQDDS 80 track 788K drives rather than the 35 track DDDS disks.
This system image is a 32K CP/M image in GEMDDDS 35 track format that has been patched to work over the G811 serial port rather than the IVC/SVC video card and is useful in cased where the video card is faulty or not present. See The_Gemini_80-Bus_Saga#CP.2FM_Via_the_Serial_Port for details.
Useful Disk Utilities
GemZap Assembler and GemDebug.
Turbo Pascal 3.0 updated for the IVC Video Card (see Configuring_Turbo_Pascal_3.0_for_the_Gemini_IVC_Card).
Wordstar 3 updated for the IVC Video Card (see Patching_Wordstar_3.0_for_the_Gemini_IVC_Card).
This is the last RP/M ROM image produced and includes ASC files with the serial default set for 300 and 9600 baud.
Simon 4.1 taken from a Gemini GM925 Multi-Format system.
This version 2.2 of RP/M was (supposedly) never released, the version numbers leapt from V2.1 to V2.3 to avoid confusion with version 2.2 of CP/M, this was confirmed in an article written for 80-bus news by RP/M's creator Richard Beal (80-BUS vol. 3 iss. 6 p. 9). However, this image was discovered on a Multi-Board machine in 2019 and attempts to boot in a different way to the normal RP/M. It is presented here for completeness.
The following ROMs were taken from various G812 IVC Video cards.
The following ROM was taken from a G832 SVC Video card.
Gemini CP/M Bios
The source code for the Gemini Multiboard Auto Density System (1.4) BIOS is located below. Whilst the BIOS isversion 1.4, the CP/M version is 2.2.
The file contains both the original version (1.4) and the version adapted for the GEMQDDDS 788k 80 track disk format (1.4 - QDDS). Each version of the BIOS reports its version as shown below.
Gemini Multiboard Auto Density System (1.4) 64k CP/M vers 2.2 A>
Gemini Multiboard Auto Density System (1.4 - QDDS) 64k CP/M vers 2.2 A:>
SASI Implementation (GM829)
The Gemini GM829 Floppy controller also includes a SASI interface (SCSI-1) that can be used to connect via a 50 pin ribbon to a hard disk controller. There are two ports available to to access the interface. Depending upon the setting of LK5, these are either C5h and C6h or E5h and E6h. The latter pair is the normal configuration and will be assumed in this article.
Port E5h is a status/control port and allows software to read and write to the SASI control signals. Port E6h is the data/message port.
The control port (E5h) is implemented as follows;
On reading the port e.g IN A,(0E5h):
Bit Signal 0 -REQ 1 I/O 2 C/D 3 -MSG 4 -BUSY
On writing to the port e.g. OUT (0E5h),A
Bit Signal 0 -ATN 1 -SEL 2 -RST
For example to toggle the select line (ignoring any required delays etc.);
LD A,5 ; set bit 1 low (-SEL activated, -ATN and -RST deactivated) OUT (0E5h),A LD A,7 ; set bit 1 high (-SEL, -ATN and -RST deactivated) OUT (0E5h),A
The following is a list of articles that may be of particular use to the Gemini owner. Please note that the complete set of IMC News, 80-Bus News and Scorpio are available below.
- Personal Computer World (Oct 1982) Gemini Galaxy 1
- Practical Computing (Nov 1982) Galaxy 1
- Computing Today (April 1983) Gemini Galaxy System Review
- Practical Computing (Jul 1983) Galaxy 3
- Personal Computer World (May 1986) Galaxy Enigma
- 80-Bus News (Volume 1, Issue 4) File:80bus news 14.pdf
- Gemini Multiboard Advert Page 27
- Gemini GM822 RTC Review Page 29
- Remote Terminals and the Galaxy Page 45
- 80-Bus News (Volume 2, Issue 1) File:80bus news 21.pdf
- Interrupt System of the Z80 Page 6
- Understanding CP/M - Customising your BIOS Page 20
- MAP 80 Ram board Page 29
- RP/M, MAP256, SYS, Virtual DIR (R Beal Column) Page 37
- 80-Bus + UCSD Page 50
- 80-Bus News (Volume 2, Issue 2) File:80bus news 22.pdf
- A Change of Tactics (CPZ, 40-80 conversion and more) Page 11
- Gemini Multinet (Random Rumours) Page 51
- 80-Bus News (Volume 2, Issue 3) File:80bus news 23.pdf
- Wordstar for the Gemini IVC Page 11
- 80-Bus Port Map Page 26
- Large RAM Systems Using the MAP Card Page 37
- Serial Interface Problems Made Easy Page 38
- GM812 IVC Hardware Bug Page 50
- 80-Bus News (Volume 2, Issue 4) File:80bus news 24.pdf
- Colour Cards Page 5
- SYS is Dead, Long Live? Page 20
- 80-Bus IO Map Part 2 Page 21
- RAM Disks Page 35
- 80-Bus News (Volume 2, Issue 5) File:80bus news 25.pdf
- Review of the Gemini Galaxy 2 Page 39
- 80-Bus News (Volume 2, Issue 6) File:80bus news 26.pdf
- Disk Drive Compatibility Page 14
- Installing an 8 inch Drive with the GM829 Page 29
- Video Output Stages Page 44
- Mixed 5.25 inch and 8 inch Drives on the GM829 Page 45
- 80-Bus News (Volume 3, Issue 1) File:80bus news 31.pdf
- CCPZ and BDOSZ Page 9
- SVC Board Page 20
- GM809, GM829 Compatibility/Upgrading (using 8 inch mode on 5.25 inch drives) Page 35
- Review of Comapss, ZAP and Raven Assemblers Page 48
- GM888 8080 Board Page 51
- 80-Bus News (Volume 3, Issue 2) File:80bus news 32.pdf
- Gemini GM860 EPROM Programmer Review Page 31
- An insight into the Gemini IVC and SVC Part 1 Page 43
- 80-Bus News (Volume 3, Issue 3) File:80bus news 33.pdf
- Gempen/DiskPen a Review of the New Improved Version Page 4
- An insight into the Gemini IVC and SVC Part 2 Page 16
- The 80-Bus 800 Series Page 38
- 80-Bus News (Volume 3, Issue 4) File:80bus news 34.pdf
- Henry's CCPZ, BDOSZ and Utility Disks Page 22
- 80-Bus News (Volume 3, Issue 5) File:80bus news 35.pdf
- Giant Intelligent Print Buffer for Gemini CPU Cards Page 9
- GSX The Graphics interface Page 19
- Lost Characters in CP/M Page 28
- Gemini Cursor Page 31
- 80-Bus News (Volume 3, Issue 6) File:80bus news 36.pdf
- RP/M Version 2.3 Page 9
- Interrupt Driven Printer for Gemini 2 Page 38
- Put a Real Time Clock in your CBIOS Page 43
- 80-Bus News (Volume 4, Issue 1) File:80bus news 41.pdf
- An IVC Problem Page 4
- Disk Skew and Deblocking (part of the DH Bits article) Page 9
- Review of the Prestel Terminal Program Page 26
- 80-Bus News (Volume 4, Issue 2) File:80bus news 42.pdf
- The Gemini GM870 Modem Page 21
- Gemini Bios Version 3.2 Page 25
- Scorpio News (Volume 1, Issue 1) File:Scorpio News 11.pdf
- Disk Formats and CP/M Disk Routines Part 1 Page 25
- Review of the 2Mb Upgrage for the Gemini GM833 Page 37
- Prestel on Pluto Page 39
- Review of the MAP-80 Video/Floppy Controller Page 42
- Making CP/M More Friendly (CCPZ, ZCPR2, BDOSZ, CBIOS) Page 51
- Scorpio News (Volume 1, Issue 2) File:Scorpio News 12.pdf
- The ZCPR3 System PArt 1 Page 20
- Disk Formats and CP/M Disk Routines Part 2 Page 40
- MAP-80 Multipurpose Interface Review Page 44
- GM809 Fast Steper Page 46
- Scorpio News (Volume 1, Issue 3) File:Scorpio News 13.pdf
- SVC Graphpac, Alia GM575 Page 8
- Gemini Maintenance Memorandum Page 10
- Disk Formats and CP/M Disk Routines Part 3 Page 11
- The ZCPR3 System Part 2 Page 25
- A Visit to IO Research Page 37
- Upgrading a GM813 to 246K Page 42
The complete set of IMC News, 80-Bus News and Scorpio are available below.
At the moment this is just a list of my Gemini related bookmarks, I will sort these out and add some descriptions soon...